Getting married in Australia as a destination wedding

Australia has a well-deserved reputation as a beautiful backdrop for stunning natural weddings. If you are looking for some tips on how to get married as a foreign citizen in Australia then keep reading. 

Give some notice

You need to give at least 1 month and 1 day of notice of intent to marry, by lodging a notice of intended marriage with the Australian government, in order to make sure your marriage is legal. Generally speaking, if you are not residing in Australia before your marriage, you can lodge this form via your celebrant or religious leader within this time frame, while you are still overseas. 

Choose a location

There are no restrictions in Australia on the locations where you can get married, but you need permission from the appropriate local land owner. To get married in a park or beach you may need permission from the local council, while private residences or buildings will require permission from the building owner. Many landmark buildings may restrict ceremonies such as weddings in their grounds if the ceremony is likely to have a detrimental effect on public access to the building.

Find a celebrant

Once you have researched where you would like to get married and how you need to get permission to get access to that site, then you can determine which local celebrants might be able to carry out your ceremony. You can often arrange for a celebrant to travel to officiate your ceremony if your favourite candidate is out of the area, but you may incur extra travel costs as a result. 

Even you are not local, through the Internet you can find a range of celebrants to interview to find someone who is the perfect fit for you as a couple. You can find celebrants that can suit any style of ceremony, and most are more than willing to chat by email or other forms of electronic communication. Make sure to send any ideas you have about the kind of ceremony you'd like ahead of time, including any music, poems or reading that you might like incorporated as well as letting them know which location you will be choosing.  

If English is not your native language you may be able to find a bilingual celebrant who can do the majority of the ceremony in your native language. They will still need to perform certain obligatory legal phrases in English for the ceremony to be binding. 

Good luck with planning your beautiful Australian wedding.